Good morning friends! I hope this post finds you well, and that you are all enjoying your Sunday. As I am sipping a super-food latte filled with some tasty Vital Proteins collagen, I want to share with you guys my 10 reasons for taking collagen.
First of all, I want to mention that I do not eat much meat. I was a vegetarian for a long time before we started having babies, but now I eat very intuitively. I will make a post about this later, but even though I really like to veer away from any animal products, there are reasons that my body sometimes needs collagen and so I take it. You just need to listen to your body and feed it what it needs, and do what works the best for you!
Okay, here we go!
10 reasons to take collagen:
1. Collagen can help heal your gut. Amino acids found in collagen are proven to heal the lining of the intestine and leaky gut symptoms. A healthy gut is so important, you guys! Your gut is like your second brain, so it’s health is everything.
2. Collagen can improve skin elasticity and moisture. Who doesn’t want that? Many creams have collagen in it to “improve and prevent wrinkles,” but collagen cannot actually be absorbed through the skin! So the best way is to ingest it.
3. Collagen (and gelatin) help to break down other foods, which aids in better digestion. It really does work! One of my biggest reasons I started taking collagen.
4. Amino acids and protein found in collagen helps your hair grow faster, stronger, and healthier. I have personally noticed this too! I have pretty healthy hair, and it’s really long, but it grows even faster when I am consistently ingesting collagen.
5. The amino acids found in collagen are obviously a game changer, another amazing thing they do is improve thyroid health which directly improves metabolism!
6. Collagen can help regulate and balance hormones. More info here! I needed help with my hormones after baby boy was born, and collagen is one of the things I take daily and it’s truly been so helpful!
7. Collagen is high in glycine, an amino acid that aids in better sleep! I have noticed this difference as well. It is amazing!
8. Glycine also helps treat stress and anxiety, naturally. This is the number one reason I wanted to get on it. I take several things for my postpartum anxiety, and collagen is one of them. It helps so much and I notice a day-to-day difference if I don’t take it.
9. Collagen is great for joint health, and easing joint pain. I have known people who take it for arthritis, and claim it really helps them!
10. Collagen is such a pure form of protein, making it a great “protein shake” option post workout. This is what I often do and its amazing. I also know people who take it before and love that too.
Basically, collagen for everything, haha! It really is that good you guys. It helps with even more things than I mentioned, but these for my 10 reasons that I take it and use it for.
Collagen, unlike gelatin, dissolved in liquid making it super easy to add to just about everything. I add collagen in my smoothies, superfood lattes, coffee, oatmeal, and other recipes (so good in bars!). I post a lot of my recipes for these things on my Instagram, so be sure you are following along there!
It is really important to find a pure, non-gmo, grass-fed form of collagen. I trust Vital Proteins 100% for that and love their products. My favorite collagen from them to add into smoothies is collagen veggie blend to get more veggie servings, too! I also love the collagen peptides with vanilla and coconut water for lattes, its sooooooo good! The original peptides are great too because they can be added into everything with no flavor! You can also purchase these on amazon!
Do you take collagen? Share your reasons/experiences with me below!